Lately I’ve been asked one question more than any other: What alternatives do I have to Shakeology? Many people are even more specific and ask how Shakeology compares to a specific supplement. Due to their sale at large chain retailers the two most commonly used protein shakes are Muscle Milk and Myoplex. So, let’s take a look at how Shakeology stacks up against these two protein shakes.
How Shakeology Works
This patent-pending daily nutritional shake helps your body gently eliminate toxins more efficiently while allowing for better absorption of the essential nutrients you need. A proprietary blend of digestive enzymes and prebiotics helps your body progressively eliminate the toxins that build up over time from eating today’s highly processed foods.
At the same time, whole-food ingredients deliver the essential amino acids, vitamins, and minerals your body needs to curb cravings, allowing your body to shed stored fat while the more than 20 different antioxidants and phytonutrients help reduce free radical damage that can lead to heart disease, heart attacks, high blood pressure, and stroke.
What’s In Shakeology
Even if you searched all over the world, you probably wouldn’t be able to find all of the 70-plus, ultra-high-quality ingredients we’ve included in Shakeology. Not only do you get a wide range of essential nutrients, from the fruits and vegetables you should be eating more of every day, you’ll also get the benefits of important foods from all around the world—foods that the latest scientific research has shown to be highly advantageous to your well-being.
More than 70 different ingredients were chosen from around the world for their potency and bioavailability (the ability to deliver the nutrients your body needs). Here are the key nutrient groups that these ingredients deliver:*
- Protein and Essential Amino Acids to help build long, lean muscles and reduce food cravings
- Prebiotics and Digestive Enzymes, which aid in improving digestion, regularity, and nutrient absorption
- Antioxidants and Phytonutrients to help counteract free radical damage that can lead to degenerative diseases
- Vitamins and Minerals your body needs to function for
Protein and Essential Amino Acids
- Help build and repair muscles
- Reduce hunger and food cravings
- Help keep blood sugar steady
- Support brain function to help promote alert thinking and reduce anxiety
- Promote healthy skin, hair, and nails
Shakeology includes whey protein isolate, an easily absorbable source of high-quality protein that’s ideal for building and maintaining lean muscle mass. It also helps keep your blood sugar steady, reducing hunger and junk food cravings. Essential amino acids, found in protein, help the body repair muscle tissue and heal wounds; support the brain to promote calmness and alertness; and reduce hunger pangs. The whey protein in Shakeology provides a highly bioavailable source of essential amino acids.
The form of protein in Shakeology is Whey Isolate. You can read more about why that is important HERE.
Prebiotics and Digestive Enzymes
- Aid digestion
- Help boost the immune system
- Increase absorption of nutrients
- Help keep you “regular”
Shakeology contains many ingredients that are beneficial to the digestive system. Prebiotics, natural components of certain plants, help support the “friendly” bacteria in your digestive tract. They may also help with the absorption of minerals such as calcium. Digestive enzymes, from plant sources such as pineapples and papayas, help your body break down food into its individual components, making the nutrients easier to absorb. Cooking can destroy food’s natural digestive enzymes, so there’s a good chance that you don’t get enough of them in your diet.
- Get rid of harmful free radicals
- Help decrease inflammation
- Help boost your immune system
- Potentially decrease the risk of degenerative diseases
- May even increase longevity
23 Vitamins and Minerals
- Get a wide range of essential nutrients
- Get your necessary vitamins every day
- Make up for dietary deficiencies
Most of us don’t get the complete range of essential vitamins and minerals in our daily diets. Some important vitamins, such as vitamin C and the B vitamins, are water-soluble, meaning they’re flushed out of your body after a short time and need to be replenished regularly. Others, like vitamin E, can be difficult to get enough of in food. Shakeology provides all these nutrients in an easy-to-take, easily absorbable form, so you never have to worry.
Shakeology Compared to Protein Shakes
As you can see from the information above, Shakeology is a lot more than a protein shake. Nonetheless, a lot of people want to know how it stacks up against other protein shakes. From the outset, I want to be clear that I’m not reviewing the complete line of supplements or options here. I’ve gone to the sites and pulled the Nutrition Facts. That provides the basis for my review. I’ve also included some information with concerns from consumer organizations noting that these Nutrition Facts may not be all that accurate and that these products may contain excess metals, such as lead. That’s all for your information. You make the ultimate decision.
As you’ll see, the comparison really isn’t fair because Shakeology is not just a protein shake. It is so much more than that, which explains why the price is higher. It’s simply more valuable.
Muscle Milk Review
Here are the Nutrition Facts for Muscle Milk. It’s a bit difficult to see, so let me break it down. I’m using the 1 scoop serving, because that is the most analogous to Shakeology from a calorie perspective.
Protein and Essential Amino Acids – 16g of protein. The nutrition facts note that this is a combination of Whey Isolate and Whey Concentrate, so already we have some corner cutting going on. That reduces the price, but you get what you pay for.
Prebiotics and Digestive Enzymes – None.
Antioxidents and Phytonutrients – Muscle Milk does not contain any phytonutrients. It does contain antioxident vitamins. Antioxidant vitamins — E, C and beta carotene (a form of vitamin A) — have potential health-promoting properties. Just looking at a few of those you can see that the levels in Muscle Milk are fairly low. For example, Shakeology contains 300% of your RDA for Vitamin C. In contrast, Muscle Milk has only 17% of your RDA for Vitamin C.
Vitamins & Minerals – Muscle Milk does contain vitamins and minerals, but again the amounts are limited. For example, Shakeology contains 100% of the RDA for Vitamins A, B1, B6, and B12. In contrast, Muscle Milk has only 17% of your RDA for all these vitamins and most of the minerals.
Looking at this comparison, you can really see how Shakeology is a lot more than your standard protein shake.
You can find the Myoplex Nutrition Facts HERE. Just click on Nutrition Facts. The serving size is 78g, which is larger than the 48g involved with Shakeology. From a calorie perspective, this is basically a double serving of Shakeology. So, let’s look at it.
- Calories – 300. A double serving of Shakeology would be 280 calories, so that’s where I came up with these numbers.
- Protein and Essential Amino Acids – Myoplex has 42g of protein, which is pretty good in a 300 calorie shake. For comparison, a double serving of Chocolate Shakeology would have 34g of protein. Myoplex does not specifically list amino acids. They do state the following description of their protein blend: “MyoPro® Protein Blend (Whey Protein Concentrate, Calcium Caseinate, Milk Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Isolate, Egg Albumin, Taurine, L-Glutamine)”. Again, we have a mixture of protein sources here, rather than the use of Whey Isolate.
- Prebiotics and Digestive Enzymes – None
- Antioxidents and Phytonutrients – There are no phytonutrients in Myoplex. Myoplex has 50% of your RDA for Vitamin A, 40% or Vitamin C and 100% of Vitamin E. Keep in mind that a double serving of Shakeology would have 200% RDA for Vitamin A, 600% for Vitamin C and 100% for Vitamin E.
- Vitamins & Minerals – We actually have pretty good numbers here for vitamins and minerals. There are a lot more calories involved, since this is equivalent to a double serving of Shakeology, but EAS did a good job of including values here.
Heavy Metals in Muscle Milk and EAS
One of the reasons I felt compelled to write this review about these specific products was that a recent Consumer Reports investigation found high levels of lead and other heavy metals in both Muscle Milk and EAS. CBS News made a similar report. These reports discuss the dangers associated with heavy metals and why you would want to avoid them. You won’t find these listed on the Nutrition Facts for either supplement, which does bring into question whether their Nutrition Facts are accurate for the remainder of their items. Mostly it shows serious corner cutting. Given the results of these investigations, it is pretty easy to see why there is such a dramatic price difference between these products.
Try Shakeology for Free
Yes, free. CLICK HERE for more information about how to get a free sample of Shakeology. I should also point out that Shakeology has a 30 day money back guaranty. You are not going to find that with any of these other supplements. So if you take it for a few weeks and just don’t like it, you can send it back. That’s it. Just send it back.