Top 10 Healthiest Foods
There are no shortage of opinions about the best healthy foods. I did some poking around to some reputable websites—and added my nutrition experience into the mix—to come up with this list of the top 10 healthiest foods. Enjoy.
- Salmon: Salmon is packed with protein, healthy fat in the form of Omega-3 fatty acids, and Vitamin D. Make sure you choose the healthy kind.
- Coconut oil: Coconut oil has powerful triglycerides and has been found to help you lose belly fat.
- Quinoa: This gluten free grain has been found to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease, Type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, colon cancer, and obesity.
- Black Beans: Small, yet powerful, black beans promote bone health, decrease blood pressure, help manage diabetes, prevent heart disease and cancer, aid digestion, and assist with weight loss by filling you up at a low calorie level.
- Green Tea: Drinking green tea protects you against cancer, prevents heart disease, lowers the risk of developing Type 2 diabetes, reduces stress, and helps with weight loss.
- Eggs: Eggs are possibly our top go to food because they’re cheap, easy to cook, and loaded with health benefits, including helping the muscles and eyes, feeding the brain, boosting energy and the immune system, and lowering the risk of heart disease. They are an excellent source of protein that helps you feel full to prevent snacking.
- Sweet Potatoes: Sweet potatoes are excellent for maintaining healthy insulin levels, lowering blood pressure, protecting against colon and prostrate cancer, promoting a healthy digestive tract, boosting immunity and reducing inflammation.
- Avocados: Avocados are loaded with healthy fats that have been proven to lower cholesterol. They also contain more than half the fiber and almost half of the folate you need daily, both of which help fight heart disease.
- Nut Butters: Also packed with heart-healthy fats and protein, make sure you get nut butters with only nuts and salt and NO added sugars.
- Spinach. Spinach is one of the best greens for folate, and also has lots of Vitamin A, iron, calcium, zinc, potassium, and selenium. It has antioxidants and supports thyroid function.
We offer nutrition counseling as part of our FREE coaching program. Click below to learn more.