One of the universal truths in fitness and weight loss is that if you burn more calories than you consume you will lose weight and if you consume more calories than you burn you will gain weight. Whether the weight you lose/gain is muscle or fat is largely a function of what you eat, but the truth remains that to lose weight you need to burn more calories than you consume. But…how many?
A pound is equivalent to 3,500 calories, so every 3,500 calories you burn (beyond what you consume) will result in one pound of weight loss. That sounds great, but you probably take in less than 3,500 calories per day, so that means this is going to take some time. That makes sense, because so does weight gain. It is unreasonable to expect to lose an amount of weight that took several months to put on in a few days. So, what you need to figure out is how many calories you need every day and then what daily deficit you need to run in order to lose the amount of weight you want to lose in the time you choose (please choose wisely). That’s the point of this post. The videos below will describe how this all works and then the Spreadsheet at the bottom will help you to crunch the numbers. Don’t hesitate to CONTACT US if you need help with any of this. We know it can be confusing.
Please note the videos are in HD and if your connection is a little slow, you’ll need to just hit the pause button and let them load for a few minutes.
Monica’s Video on the Process for Weight Loss and Calorie Burn
In this video, Monica describes how she arrived at this process and her 30 day results with creating a simple daily calorie deficit that she tracks every single day.
Monica’s Dos and Don’ts for Weight Loss and Calorie Burn
- Track your daily intake and calorie burn using www.myfitnesspal.com. Links to our MFP accounts are in the spreadsheet below.
- Eat foods from the nutrition guide designed for your fitness program. If you are doing P90X, follow the P90X Nutrition Guide. If you are doing Insanity, follow the Insanity Nutrition Guide.
- Eat to your calorie target. Don’t undereat because you get obsessed with calorie burn. Food is fuel and your body needs it to thrive and become metabolically efficient.
- Weigh yourself daily. Your weight is going to fluctuate, and that can be very frustrating so don’t do that.
- Navigate in the dark. Get the info you need. We recommend getting your body fat professionally tested so you can know where you are starting and where you are currently.
- Cheat on yourself. Things happen and we know that. It is not always possible to be perfect. That’s ok. Document your intake (no matter how bad it is), forgive yourself, learn from your mistake, and MOVE ON.
Dave’s Video on the Spreadsheet for Weight Loss and Calorie Burn
In this video, Dave walks you through using the Spreadsheet you can download below. The Calorie Calculator will help you estimate your daily caloric needs and then help you identify the daily deficit you will need in order to lose weight.
Download the Calorie Calculator and Weight Loss Spreadsheet
You can download the Calorie Calculator by CLICKING HERE. This is an Excel File.
About Us and Free Fitness Coaching
My wife Monica and I are both Team Beachbody Coaches and P90X Certified Trainers. You can find out how to receive our Free Fitness Coaching by CLICKING HERE. This is a personalized level of one on one Coaching where you’ll get to tap into our knowledge base with Beachbody programs and sound nutrition to fuel your body for optimal results.