Staying on Track with the 21 Day Fix While Traveling
I travel quite a bit so I had to find ways to stay on track when I’m doing the 21 Day Fix while traveling. In this post, I’ll share tips for staying on track with the 21 Day Fix while traveling.
As you probably know, the 21 Day Fix is an awesome program that comes with a simple structured portion-control meal plan. Not only will the food that you eat during these three weeks help you lose weight, but it will help your body recover properly from your workouts and feel better overall.
It’s easy to get into a routine at home, but what if you have to travel during your round? Do not fret! Packing your 21 Day Fix meals for a short trip is no big deal at all.
TIP #1: Plan Ahead for the 21 Day Fix While Traveling
Planning and prepping are your KEYS to success. Here are some ways you should plan ahead:
- Find out if you’ll have a refrigerator where you’ll be staying. If you’re staying in a hotel and you’re not sure, call and ask them. Don’t be afraid to ask for a room that has one because you have “special needs” lol.
- Bring a BIG water bottle and either bring or buy gallons of water as soon as you arrive. Staying hydrated is IMPORTANT!
TIP #2: Pack 21 Day Fix Compliant Portable Snacks & Lunches
You already have the convenient color-coded containers that not only help you measure your portions, but you can also use them to store your food. You can also use labeled or color-coded Ziploc bags (available at Target, Walmart, etc.). I also have some suggestions below for foods that are already in natural or manmade containers.
When I go on a trip, I pack foods that I can just grab and eat while I’m on the go or use to make a simple lunch in my hotel room.
Here are some ideas of foods to bring:
- Shakeology—Bring your shaker cup and you have a complete meal you can make in seconds.
- Hard boiled eggs
- Almonds—Raw and organic. I love the individual packages available at Trader Joes!
- Nut butter—The whole jar or those little individually wrapped packages.
- Tuna—Easy-to-open cans or packages, packed in water.
- Fruit—Choose the most travel friendly fruits in season. Remember that dried has significantly more sugar and is calculated different than fresh fruit in the 21 Day Fix meal plan.
- Mustard—Order a box of individual packages for a portable and delicious freebie to jazz up those eggs and tuna.
- Whole grain crackers
Sit down with your 21 Day Fix Nutrition Guide—or check out my 21 Day Fix Food List—and pick your favorite portable foods for snacks and lunches. Bring enough snacks so you don’t let yourself get so starving that you gorge when you’re dining out!
Packing all this food has another side benefit—it’ll definitely save you some money.
TIP #3: Dine Out Smart on the 21 Day Fix
First of all, I’m giving you permission to have some cheat meals. Food is a part of the travel experience, whether it’s because you’re eating with friends, family or colleagues or you’re in an exotic place.
Just remember that with every cheat meal you eat, you must adjust your expectations because it does affect your results. One way to minimize the impact is to order AND eat smaller portion sizes.
Here are some tips to help you earn that cheat meal:
- If you’ll be going out to dinner or to an event with food and you don’t want to cheat, eat BEFORE you go. This is when I like to drink a Shakeology. In addition to being a complete meal, it has natural appetite suppressants so you won’t be so tempted to overeat while you’re out.
- Pay attention while you’re socializing, so you don’t tune out and snack out of habit!
- Try not to drink. Instead of holding a cocktail in your hand, order some sparkling water with lemon or lime in the same fancy glass. If you must drink, keep it light and make yourself a deal to drink multiple glasses of water for every alcoholic drink.
- Study the menu and focus on the salad and veggie sections (you can even do this ahead of time from the menu on the website). These days many menus have the caloric count, which is a HUGE help.
- Make sure you ask for sauces and salad dressings on the side, so you can make sure they go on light—or not at all.
- Learn your healthy food swaps and don’t be afraid to let your server know you have special dietary needs. If you do it right, you’re likely to get an extra delicious dish!
Read this for a bit more info on eating out on the Fix—Dining Out on the 21 Day Fix
Tip #4: Don’t Skip Your 21 Day Fix Workouts on Vacation
Four words—Beachbody On Demand membership!!!
This gives you 24/7 access to your 21 Day Fix workouts (and 700+ other ones), and the nutrition guide. All you need is a mobile device and internet access and you can workout wherever you’re staying—even the hotel gym!
If you don't have access to Beachbody on Demand, make sure you bring some sort of portable DVD player AND your 21 Day Fix DVDs!
One way to compensate for those extra calories you may have taken on from your cheat meals is to focus your vacation activities on those that are active enough to burn extra calories. And, consider doing double workouts. Dave and I talk about those here—21 Day Fix Double Workouts and What is the 21 Day Fix Doubles Option?
TIP #5: Use Your 21 Day Fix Tools
Tools help you stay structured–so use them without fail! Here are some of them:
- 21 Day Fix App
- Beachbody's Nutrition+ App
- Coach Monica's 21 Day Fix Daily Meal Planner
- Coach Monica's 21 Day Fix Daily Tracker
TIP #6: Stay Accountable
Let your coach know you're going on vacation and make a plan to touch base EVERY DAY. If you're in an online Challenge Group, check in there daily so your fellow Fixers know what you're up to. You can even connect with one or two "success partners" who will hold you accountable while your traveling.
The person you are most accountable to is YOU. Before you leave—and at some point EVERY DAY while you're traveling—remember your core commitments so you don't lose perspective of what REALLY matters.
Here's my video on this topic:
So, now you know exactly how to stay on track with the 21 Day Fix while traveling. You CAN do it!
If you don't have a coach and an accountability group, I'd love to have you in mine! Click below to join: