Staying on Track with the 21 Day Fix While Traveling
The 21 Day Fix is an awesome program that comes with a simple structured portion-control meal plan. Not only will the food that you eat during these three weeks help you lose weight, but it will help your body recover properly from your workouts and feel better overall. It’s easy to get into a routine at home, but what if you have to travel during your round? I want to give you some tips for staying on track with the 21 Day Fix while traveling.
If you’re in a situation where you have to leave the comfort of your home, or more importantly, the comfort of your kitchen where you normally prepare your meals, do not fret! Packing your 21 Day Fix meals for a short trip is no big deal at all.
TIP #1: Plan Ahead for the 21 Day Fix While Traveling
Planning and prepping are your KEYS to success. Here are some ways you should plan ahead:
- Do you have a refrigerator where you’ll be staying? If you’re staying in a hotel, call and ask them. Don’t be afraid to ask for a room that has one because you have “special needs” lol.
- Bring a BIG water bottle and either bring or buy gallons of water as soon as you arrive. Staying hydrated is IMPORTANT!
TIP #2: Pack 21 Day Fix Compliant Portable Snacks & Lunches
You already have the convenient color-coded containers that not only help you measure your portions, but you can also use them to store your food. You can also use labeled or color-coded Ziploc bags (available at Target, Walmart, etc.). I also have some suggestions below for foods that are already in natural or manmade containers.
When I go on a trip, I pack foods that I can just grab and eat while I’m on the go or use to make a simple lunch in my hotel room. Here are some ideas of foods to bring:
- Shakeology—bring your shaker cup and you have a complete meal you can make in seconds
- Hard-boiled eggs—don’t feel constrained by that whole cholesterol myth. Read more about eggs here.
- Almonds—Raw and organic. Trader Joes has raw almonds in individual packages!
- Nut butter—the whole jar or most stores have individually wrapped packages.
- Easy-to-open cans or packages of tuna—packed in water
- Fruit—choose the most travel friendly fruits in season
- Mustard—a delicious freebie to jazz up those eggs and tuna
- Whole grain crackers
Sit down with your 21 Day Fix Nutrition Guide—or check out my 21 Day Fix Food List—and pick your favorite portable foods for snacks and lunches. Bring enough snacks so you don’t let yourself get so starving that you gorge when you’re dining out!
TIP #3: Dining Out on the 21 Day Fix
First of all, I’m giving you permission to have some cheat meals. Food is a part of the travel experience, whether it’s because you’re eating with friends, family or colleagues or you’re in an exotic place. Just remember that with every cheat meal you eat, you must adjust your expectations because it does affect your results. One way to minimize the impact is to order – or show serious restraint and only eat – smaller portion sizes.
Here are some tips to help you earn that cheat meal:
- If you’ll be going out to dinner or to an event with food and you don’t want to cheat, eat before you go. This is when I like to drink a Shakeology. In addition to being a complete meal, it has natural appetite suppressants so you won’t be so tempted to overeat while you’re out.
- Pay attention while you’re socializing, so you don’t tune out and snack out of habit!
- Try not to drink. Instead of holding a cocktail in your hand, order some sparkling water with lemon or lime in the same fancy glass. If you must drink, keep it light and make yourself a deal to drink multiple glasses of water for every alcoholic drink.
- Study the menu and focus on the salad and veggie sections [you can even do this ahead of time from the menu on the website]. These days many menus have the caloric count, which is a HUGE help. Again, don’t be shy and let your server know you have special dietary needs. If you do it right, you’re likely to get an extra delicious dish! Make sure you ask for sauces and salad dressings on the side, so you can make sure they go on light – or not at all.
Packing all this food is super easy! It also has another side benefit — it’ll definitely save you some money. Here’s my video on this topic:
Tip #4: Doing Your 21 Day Fix Workouts on Vacation
Four words—Beachbody On Demand membership!!! With Team Beachbody’s premium membership, you get 24/7 access to a huge library of workout programs, including your purchased copy of the 21 Day Fix. All you need is a mobile device and internet access and you can workout wherever you’re staying—even the hotel gym!
Click below to learn how you can get Beachbody on Demand:
If you don't have access to Beachbody on Demand, make sure you bring your laptop and your 21 Day Fix DVDs!
One way to compensate for those extra calories you may have taken on from your cheat meals is to focus your vacation activities on those that are active enough to burn extra calories. And, consider doing double workouts. Dave and I talk about those here—21 Day Fix Double Workouts and What is the 21 Day Fix Doubles Option?
TIP #5: Staying Accountable
Let your coach know you're going on vacation and make a plan to touch base EVERY DAY. If you're in an online Challenge Group, check in there daily so your fellow Fixers know what you're up to. You can even connect with one or two who will hold you accountable while your traveling.
The person you are most accountable to is YOU. Before you leave - and at some point EVERY DAY you're traveling—remember your core commitments, so you don't lose perspective of what REALLY matters.
So, now you know exactly how to stay on track with the 21 Day Fix while traveling. You CAN do it! Just one more thing...if you're coach-less or I'm already your coach but you're not in my private 21 Day Fix Family group on Facebook, click below to join: