P90X vs P90X3
I want to talk to you a little bit about P90X vs P90X3 — like how they are similar and how they are different.
First, a little P90X trivia—the name is code for Power 90 Extreme. Power 90 was the Beachbody program that got Monica and I started on the health and fitness path. I don’t think I need to explain what “power” stands for; 90 stands for 90 days, which is the duration of the programs.
How are P90X and P90X3 Similar?
Let’s talk a bit about how P90X and P90X—actually ALL of the P90X workouts—are similar.
- All three programs—P90X, P90X2, and P90X3—give you the guidance of a personal trainer in your own home. They’re used all over the world over by fitness professionals, athletes, celebrities AND regular folks who want to get seriously fit.
- As I mentioned before, each of these programs is 90 days in duration.
- The underlying concept of the workouts is also the same—to exercise muscles in different ways from different directions, which results in the body building more muscle tissue. The technical terms for this are “cross training” and “periodization.”
- Both of these programs are well-rounded, which means that you will do cardio training, strength training, and yoga. You won’t be doing only one thing like with Body Beast, which is all about weight training. This workout diversity is what gives people such great results—they burn fat and build muscle at the same time. Needless to say, don’t get too focused on the scale. If your clothes are feeling baggy and the scale is not moving, that is because you are losing fat and building lean muscle.
- The intensity or difficulty of each program is equal.
- They also each come with a meal plan that will help you accomplish your goal in the most beneficial way for your body.
How are P90X and P90X3 Different?
There are to primary differences between P90X and P90X3:
- TIME—One of the most difficult aspects of P90X is time. Your daily commitment is 60 to 90 minutes, which takes a lot of time out of your day and can pose a challenge if you have kids and a full-time job. Time is one of the main reasons why people tend to give up on P90X. All of the P90X3 workouts last only for about half an hour. This is a major time saver without compromising on effectiveness one bit.
- SCHEDULES—P90X has three different schedules (Classic, Lean, and Doubles) and P90X3 has four (Classic, Lean, Doubles, and Mass). The Lean schedule has more cardio, Classic is really well-rounded, Doubles means that you will train twice a day, and Mass will have you doing more strength training and eating a little bit different to gain muscle mass.
- NUTRITION PLAN—The P90X Nutrition Plan comes separately from the workout program AND it changes over time. People often need help figuring out whether or not it’s the right time to change their current diet plan, because you must take into consideration a few things in order to nail the transition from Phase 1 to Phase 2. The P90X3 Nutrition Guide was modified to incorporate “intuitive eating.” This is something I’ve worked on with my clients for years because it really works. Intuitive eating is a nutritional philosophy that has you dial in to your body’s natural hunger signals as a means to reaching a healthy weight instead of tracking calories and fats. It results in a much healthier relationship with food than restrictive diets.
P90X vs P90X3 Video
Here’s a video I filmed with some more details on P90X vs P90X3:
Free P90X Coaching
Both Monica and I are P90X certified and would love to help you with the P90X, P90X2 and/or P90X3 workouts. FREE coaching is included in the price of the program—if you buy from us, you get coached by us! Click on the button below to get signed up.